Planet Electronics was launched in 1998 as an importing company of automotive accessories to be supplied to the motor industry. What initially began as a small operation solely importing parking sensors into South Africa, soon grew into a thriving business with a wider product mix as well as broad base of customers including vehicle manufacturers, car dealerships, fitment centres, retailers and distributors.
- By 2005, Planet Electronics was the largest importer and distributor of parking distance control systems in South Africa. In addition, we had obtained the right to solely import Mr. Handsfree Bluetooth car kits.
- In 2006, Planet electronics was purchased by the Van Heerden Family. The current Directors are Rayno van Heerden, Maurice van Heerden and Guyck van Heerden.
- In 2009 Planet Electronics gained sole distribution for Caska Multimedia and Navigation systems. Caska has 75% market share of the in-vehicle navigation market and currently over 20000 Caska systems are in circulation in SA. The product is approved by almost all the South African motor manufacturers and Planet Electronics currently supplies Caska systems to various manufacturers locally including GM, Nissan, Daihatsu, Kia, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru, Renault and more.
- In 2010 Planet Electronics obtained sole distribution for Kicker Car Audio and Home & Personal products in South Africa. Kicker is the No.1 market share holder for Car audio in the USA. Our supply channels of these products are to mass retailers, independent retailers, motor manufacturers, fitment centres and the public at large. We were awarded the Kicker – International distributer of the year award, in 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015 & 2016.
- In 2012/13, Planet Electronics was awarded sole distribution rights for distribution of Steelmate products throughout Sub-Sahara Africa. Steelmate products include Tyre pressure monitoring systems for the retail and commercial industry. Planet also registered the trademark, Tyretech, which is our in-house brand for our tyre care range.
- In 2013, Planet Electronics relocated to new Offices in Pretoria. The office include 750sq/M of triple volume warehousing space and 250sq/m of office space.
- In 2014, Planet Electronics was awarded co-distribution of Sony car audio and is responsible for the distribution into OEM channels. Clients include Nissan, GM, Renault, Datsun, Cherry and more.
- In 2014, Planet Electronics opened its first regional office, Planet Cape, in the Western Cape which currently has 8 staff and 400 sq/m of triple volume warehousing space
- In 2015, Planet Electronics was awarded exclusive distribution rights for Parrot automotive Bluetooth products. Parrot products are “class leaders” in automotive Bluetooth technology worldwide.
- In 2015, Planet Electronics acquired auto Audio Accessories – a Durban based Trim and Harness distributor and has since, made this portfolio available to its customers nationwide increasing sales by over 1000% in the first year.
- In 2015, Planet Electronics also opened its second regional office, Planet KZN, in Kwa-Zulu Natal which currently has 6 staff and 350 sq/m of triple volume warehousing space.
- In Nov 2015, Planet Electronics was awarded the exclusive distribution right for JVC car audio in the Sub-Saharan region.
- In 2016 Planet Electronics was awarded the JVC distributor of the year award for the Gulf/Africa region in their first year of distributing the brand
- In 2017, Planet Electronics continued it’s rapid expansion and secured the exclusive distribution rights for Sub-Saharan Africa for the following leading car Audio brands: Alpine, JL Audio, Focal
- In 2017, Planet electronics launched the Planet multimedia and Planet Entertainment brands for various multimedia and in-car entertainment products sourced from various international suppliers.
Planet Electronics currently employs 46 full-time staff. Its product mix consists of, Caska, JVC, Alpine Electronics, JL Audio, Parrot automotive, Kicker car audio, Focal, Planet Multimedia, Dr Artex vehicle insulation products, Thirdeye park distance control, Tyretech tyre care products and various in vehicle DVD players and entertainment products. Planet Electronics is proudly the premier South African Supplier to Motor manufacturers, Automotive retailers, fitment centres and Sub-Distributors alike.