Planet Electronics was launched in 1998 as an importing company of automotive accessories to be supplied to the motor industry. What initially began as a small operation solely importing parking sensors into South Africa, soon grew into a thriving business with a wider product mix as well as broad base of customers including vehicle manufacturers, car dealerships, fitment centres, retailers and distributors.
- By 2005, Planet Electronics was the largest importer and distributor of parking distance control systems in South Africa. In addition, we had obtained the right to solely import Mr. Handsfree Bluetooth car kits.
- In 2006, Planet electronics was purchased by the Van Heerden Family. The current Directors are Rayno van Heerden, Maurice van Heerden, Guyck van Heerden and Carl van Heerden.
- In 2009 Planet Electronics gained sole distribution for Caska Multimedia and Navigation systems. Caska has 75% market share of the in-vehicle navigation market and currently over 17000 Caska systems are in circulation in SA. The product is approved by almost all the South African motor manufacturers and Planet Electronics currently supplies Caska systems to various manufacturers locally including GM, Nissan, Daihatsu, Kia, Honda, Suzuki, Subaru and more.
- In 2010 Planet Electronics obtained sole distribution for Kicker Car Audio and Home & Personal products in South Africa. Kicker is the No.1 market share holder for Car audio in the USA. Our supply channels of these products are to mass retailers, independent retailers, motor manufacturers, fitment centres and the public at large. We were awarded the Kicker – International distributer of the year award, in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- In 2012/13, Planet Electronics was awarded sole distribution rights for distribution of Steelmate products throughout Sub-Sahara Africa. Steelmate products include Tyre pressure monitoring systems for the retail and commercial industry. Planet also registered the trademark, Tyretech, which is our in-house brand for our tyre care range.
- In 2014, Planet electronics was awarded co-distribution of Sony car audio and is responsible for the distribution into OEM channels. Clients include Nissan, GM, Cherry and more. Planet Electronics also opened its first regional office, Planet Cape, in the Western Cape
- In 2015, Planet Electronics was awarded exclusive distribution rights for Parrot automotive Bluetooth products. Parrot products are “class leaders” in automotive Bluetooth technology worldwide. Planet Electronics also opened its second regional office, Planet KZN, in Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Planet Electronics currently employs 38 full-time staff. Its product mix consists of, Caska, Sony Car audio, Parrot automotive, Kicker car audio, Kicker Home and personal audio, Thirdeye park distance control, Steelmate tyre pressure monitoring, Tyretech tyre care products and various in vehicle DVD players and entertainment products.